geek out: back to weddings

by lizzie & isaiah on December 29, 2010 · 20 comments

geek out - a collection of greats from around the web worth freaking out about.

Well, I think it’s pretty fair to say we haven’t talked about weddings…just about since we moved the blog.  Since school has finished, I’ve been slowly gathering inspiration to put the wedding planning back in full-blown, all-out, let’s-get-it-done mode.

Here’s what I’ve been geeking out about lately:

Decor

I get pretty excited when I see cheap, amazing looking DIY projects, like this one from Project Wedding that fit within our style. Who told us our $10k budget was ridiculous? I’d like to have a sit-down with them knowing what I know now.

diy wedding decor from project wedding

I love the suggestion that every wedding should have a release of hundreds of white balloons on Alkeemi. I couldn’t agree more. This looks like a blast.

white balloon wedding decor -- celebrate!

I love this look from Image Spark for over a dessert table. We have some potentially interesting ideas for the wedding that could definitely make use of some of this DIY badassedness.

unique wedding decor hanging vases with flowers diy

Details

I love this idea both for centerpieces and gift and cake tables and what not. The paper flowers are a neat touch. Lesley walks you through creating your own centerpiece similar to this one on Budget Savvy Bride.

diy wedding centerpiece branch paper flowers

I’ve fancied myself quite the crafter lately and I think a ring pillow like this one from Ruffled would be a rad little touch.

cute ring pillow yipee! sewing embroidery diy wedding details

I rarely like wedding cake toppers. Whether they’re of the ridiculously misogynistic and sadly stereotypical bride-drags-groom-across-cake-and-thus-throughout-life persuasion or if they’re just too damn “cute” for my taste…they always seem to miss the bar where our wedding style is concerned. I like the simplicity of this DIY from Ruffled and it looks easy as cake to make as well.

diy wedding cake topper - sparkle

I GEEKED like I may not have ever geeked before over the idea of a churro bar for our wedding. I love the cute instruction cards and the setup on Project Wedding…also, have we not already clearly established that churros are freaking delicious?

wedding churro bar dessert table diy

I loved the entire sharefest on Snippet & Ink while she was away getting hitched. The getaway car inspiration really won me over, however, and this BMW in particular. We always just thought we’d drive away in one of our own semi-well-kept economy scooters, I mean…cars…but something about those Rolls Royce’s and BMW’s really got my heart a-thumpin.

vintage bmw getaway car for wedding inspiration

Vibe-age

I really just loved this entire wedding on Ruffled. The vibe of this reception is reallycalling me. The brick walls…the adorable streamers and unassuming tablescapes are what I hope our wedding can resemble in our own fashion.

wedding decor and vibe

If we go the outdoor route, I love this vibe for a wedding. Again, understated and welcoming…oozing with that just-have-a-great-time vibe. To be fair, Green Wedding Shoes usually gets my blood pumpin’ a bit with the wedding vibe-ness.

green wedding shoes wedding inspiration for an outdoor reception with DIY details

This entire wedding featured on Snippet & Ink was stunning. From the photography vibe-age to the decor and detail vibe-age…it screamed the couple’s style through and through. While this may not be our particular style, we’re hoping for something that represents us half as well as this wedding represented that stranger-couple of whom we’ve become fond of.

wedding decor and vibe inspiration teal

Again, another wedding where all of the details swirled together in a tornado of cohesiveness. This wedding from 100 Layer Cake had the most badass invitations, outdoor setup, decor and diy details I’ve seen in a long time.

amazing wedding inspiration for outdoor ceremony and reception diy details from 100 layer cake

Go ahead. Ask me how much I love the pillow effect on the ceiling, the sweet and sincere-seeming details and the concrete floors of this wedding. I’ll just go ahead and tell you. I love it. The entire wedding is worth the look on At First Swoon.

beautiful wedding decor inspiration

It’s been refreshing in our home to talk wedding-shop again. We’ve been avoiding the topic with school and all of the family craziness going on lately. It seems like the blog tends to reflect, naturally and probably all-too-obviously what’s going on in our lives as of lately. I know a lot of my blogging buddies are already married or far too close to change any details now, but we’re still just at the starting line.

Hence, the wedding-ness. Hope you enjoyed your holidays and the new year treats you tenderly. Well, that’s a weird word, isn’t it?

Lisa December 29, 2010 at 11:14 am

love all these! please let me know if you need any help! I think I could copy that pillow and sew it up for you if you want!

lizzie & isaiah December 29, 2010 at 12:49 pm

aww you are a dearrrr! jeeez, lisa! let me see how overwhelmed i feel in the next month or so…hahah. you are way too sweet!

Nicole @ The Plunge Project December 29, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I seriously LOVE your wedding style, Lizzie, and I cannot wait to see what you come up with for your own wedding! That first photo with those little streamer things kinda reminds me of the decor from this wedding (http://theplungeproject.com/art-museum-wedding) :)

lizzie & isaiah December 29, 2010 at 12:49 pm

thanks so much nicole! i agree, it’s kind of similar – especially the colors! that wedding’s beautiful too!

The Demoiselle December 29, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Yup! That pretty much sums up the best decor of the year! Great roundup!! Hope you have a fabulously fun NYEve!!

lizzie & isaiah December 29, 2010 at 11:18 pm

you too, lady! thanks so much!

Diane @ home sweet homemade December 29, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Hi ~~ what a great collection of celebration images – and totally not just for weddings. I’m completely in love with the colorful stripe-streamers and who doesn’t love a canopy of balloons? Even indoors. How exciting! happy new year to you both!!

lizzie & isaiah December 29, 2010 at 11:20 pm

thanks, diane! i think so too…i LOVE balloons..unfortunately i cringe like a little baby when they pop. so i’m not sure how realistic it would be to have them at our wedding…ha!

Alicia @CharityWedding December 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm

I truly love it all! If you would have told me a year ago that you could DIY a ton of amazing decor for your wedding, I would have told you you were crazy! But now, I couldn’t imagine not having DIY elements in a wedding! I can’t wait to see yours come to life!

lizzie & isaiah December 29, 2010 at 11:21 pm

haha for sure! i think the same…diy meant crap to me when i got started…images of crappily folded origami cranes and self-printed paper banners everywhere floated about…now i’m stoked to see what next year’s definition of “diy” will be, eh?

nancy {so happi together} December 29, 2010 at 11:02 pm

wowza! These are all amazing finds. Kudos for putting together such a great group of inspirational images. It all makes me very excited to see what you are going to cook up for your own special day! Happy New Year’s Eve!

lizzie & isaiah December 29, 2010 at 11:22 pm

thanks, nancy! i have died over these weddings just a bit lately…thanks for the encouragement…hoping our wedding is 1/2 as badass as some of the ones these lovely folks made!

Jo December 30, 2010 at 9:14 am

I had to skip down over this–they’re all so beautiful and I’m totally ignoring all detail stuff right now because we’re hardcore focusing on not doing that. :) These are too tempting and absolutely lovely! I’m excited to see what you do.

lizzie & isaiah December 30, 2010 at 12:32 pm

i understand, jo, for sure. i just took about a two and a half month break from weddings period because we were going a bit nuts with all of the options…best of luck :)

postcards and pretties December 30, 2010 at 9:49 am

what a kicka** roundup. you can do lizzie and stay on budget!! happy new years!!! xo

lizzie & isaiah December 30, 2010 at 12:32 pm

aww thanks, chris! excited to see it all come together…not sure which details we want to adopt and which are just nice – but someone else, you know?

Christie O. {Hindsight Bride} December 30, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Love your style my dear. I’m so in love with paper craft. With your graphic design background and your hip aesthetic, I can;t wait to see your wedding!

lizzie & isaiah January 11, 2011 at 3:16 pm

what!? thanks, christie, you’re so sweet!