mixtape masters: iconic tv intros

by lizzie & isaiah on January 28, 2011 · 17 comments

mixtape masters - music handpicked for the week

We love TV. Sometimes, we feel like a conjoined version of “Kenneth” from 30 Rock. We’ve already determined that our first born child will be named after our favorite show the moment the little peanut is born. Well, not that. Hopefully I won’t carry a “Cops” Maldonado for nine months.

We have this theory about the success of TV shows. Keep in mind, we’re not RTVF gurus or anything of the sort. But at some point, hours of exposure has to qualify you as some sort of specialist, right? This theory may or may not already exist. But we are unaware, nonetheless.

Our theory: The success of a TV show is directly dependent upon how interesting, memorable and fitting its intro is. Great shows have fallen to awful, in-cohesive and forgettable intros.

Usually, we find: Good shows = good intros.

Great intros will forever associate a song with a show. Even though Massive Attack’s “Teardrop” came out six years before the first episode of House, every time we hear that song, we think of House and vise versa. The Office theme song (embarrassingly) has Isaiah and I up and celebrating with a 30-second-dance-party in our living room with every episode we watch. Dexter’s eerie theme song has me grabbing my throat for protection…and haven’t we all written our own lyrics to the Law & Order theme song? The theme for 30 Rock may rival some of the most iconic intros of all time. Despite our growing hatred for the show soap opera Grey’s Anatomy, it’s the reason I dug into Psapp.

After an episode of HBO’s risque cartoon The Life & Times of Tim, we sing Hank Williams’ “I’ll Never Get Out of this World Alive” loudly, out of tune and in each other’s faces for the remainder of the evening…well, after the stitches in our sides heal (ha). We had never heard the song before the show.

best tv intro theme songs mixtape masters

What are your favorite TV show intros?

For more mixtape master madness, check out these peops: Hi-Fi Weddings, One Cat Per Person, Tylre, My SF Budget WeddingFashion Under 100, Dead Flowers, Jo Rooting, Craft My Life, Another Damn Life, Casa de Kaloi, Bunnies’n Beagles, Something Different, Savoir Weddings, Existing Between Reality and Dreams and Fancy Notion.

Be a Mixtape Master. Email Angie or Ashley to get on the list.

Gloria January 28, 2011 at 11:46 am

haha the 30 rock theme music always makes me want to dance dramatically around the room :-) i also LOVE the song from mad men (a beautiful mine by rjd2) – so amazing

lizzie & isaiah January 28, 2011 at 12:32 pm

30 Rock’s is amazing! We’ve both been meaning to watch mad men and we love rjd2.

Elizabeth @ Dapper Paper January 28, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Yeah, i love me some 30 Rock intro as well…and after Chris and I dove into mad men, we sang the theme song in a dramatic depressing manner constantly, it would not get out of our head.

lest you forget Saved By the Bell (wait, you may be slightly young for that)…when i wake up in the mornin’…
and Full House (still, you may be slightly young for that?) ahhh ahhh ahhh ahhhh doo bee doo bop ba bop
and 2 faves:
Gilmore Girls “Where you lead, i ‘ll follow, anywhere, that you tell me to..
and
Friends!

and new fave: Parenthood: Bob Dylan, ‘nough said.
I like your theory! and we love some tv also…too much.

lizzie & isaiah January 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm

We totally should have clarified we were just picking our favorite shows with awesome intros, my bad! I know those are definitely iconic, we also owe honorable mentions to The Cosby Show and Entourage.

I haven’t had a chance to watch Parenthood yet! I want to, for sure!

Thanks, Elizabeth!

Lena January 28, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Love, love, LOVE this! The Dexter theme is so perfectly suited to the show, and John and I have the most horrifying kiss tradition to the House theme!

lizzie & isaiah January 29, 2011 at 4:25 am

haha! what is it?! i’m obviously dying of curiosity!

Anna @ IHOD January 29, 2011 at 6:14 am

ha ha!! Love it. Your song choices are right on. We love 30 Rocks theme song….and the show!

lizzie & isaiah February 1, 2011 at 1:46 am

30 Rock is AMAZING, no?! Thanks so much, Anna!

Jackie {sweetlittlethrills} January 29, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Ah yes, I’ve had show intros stuck in my head more times than I can count, and ended up hunting down artists (thereby finding some favorites). Happy weekend :)

lizzie & isaiah February 1, 2011 at 1:47 am

Haha understood…I love that band that does the How I Met Your Mother theme…The Solids? I found them from that as well. :)

Lisa January 30, 2011 at 11:20 am

such an excellent excellent mix! we should do an old school tv school theme mix too with cartoon shows we watched when we were younger! that would be amazing!

lizzie & isaiah February 1, 2011 at 1:47 am

Haha! Definitely! I just revisited a few shows I loved from childhood…Tales from the Crypt and Ahh! Real Monsters! so far…planning many, many more.

lyn January 30, 2011 at 2:20 pm

You guys are so clever! This is awesome.

lizzie & isaiah February 1, 2011 at 1:49 am

bah! Thanks, Lyn :)

Jo January 31, 2011 at 8:26 am

Love! One of mine is the intro to Code Monkeys.

lizzie & isaiah February 1, 2011 at 1:51 am

I have never seen Code Monkeys…what station is that on?!

Tiera February 3, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Ooohh, my favourite is the song from Fresh Prince of Bel Air!