mixtape: oh, snow

by lizzie & isaiah on February 4, 2011 · 13 comments

mixtape masters - music handpicked for the week

When we moved to Texas four years ago, it snowed that first Christmas. Everyone swears up and down that it doesn’t snow here…yet every year, snow. And everyone’s flabbergasted! “What?! It never snows here!” Hey, guys! It snows here! Get over it. I miss the Chicago snow…I’d give anything to be in this weather again. You can’t build snowmen out of this. You can’t build forts. You might be able to ice skate somewhere…if they had salt trucks and plows to clear the roads…Instead, it just melts…refreezes…melts into mush…refreezes into treacherous ice islands in the streets…upon which, they throw some sand at it and hope it does some damage.

snow in texas

snowy texas

So here’s to going stir crazy. To having cabin fever. To being locked inside your apartment for FOUR days. Every time we leave to get food, cigarettes, booze (for the nights, you see…instead of a fireplace)…we’re risking our lives on the ice-laden streets of Denton.

So to keep you entertained on your many hours inside, if you’re snowed in, an ode to snow to help keep you warm, wherever you are.

snow day mixtape

Image via We Heart It

One of our favorite things about Mixtape Masters, if you haven’t guessed, is being spurred into looking for new music or old music that has somehow gone undiscovered to us. We discovered the ultra rad Phoebe Snow and Zoot Woman as well as Electric Presidentthis week, which are all definitely worth a listen.

For more mixtape master madness, check out these peops: Hi-Fi Weddings, One Cat Per Person, Tylre, My SF Budget WeddingFashion Under 100, Dead Flowers, Jo Rooting, Craft My Life, Another Damn Life, Casa de Kaloi, Bunnies’n Beagles, Something Different, Savoir Weddings, Existing Between Reality and Dreams and Fancy Notion.

Be a Mixtape Master. Email Angie or Ashley to get on the list.

Sarah February 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Yikes – sounds nasty! We don’t get much snow in Vancouver, but when it does snow, the whole city shuts down. No one has snow tires or snow shovels and there’s only one snow plow for the whole city. Missing work because there’s an inch of snow on the ground is totally legitimate. For Canadians, we’re pretty pathetic. I can’t even imagine how bad it gets in Texas!

lizzie & isaiah February 4, 2011 at 6:50 pm

WOW, I guess I always assumed Canada was always covered in at least 3-4 inches of snow at all times, no joke. How naive of me. That is an awesome way to be corrected.

Lena February 4, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I must admit, I miss snow! San Francisco isn’t exactly a snowy city, and all these tales of snow days are making me green with envy!

lizzie & isaiah February 4, 2011 at 6:50 pm

FOR SURE. I felt the same way until it happened here…and I remembered…my snow boots didn’t make it from Chicago…neither did long john’s or any warm clothes, really…i’m just layering on sweaters.

Jackie {sweetlittlethrills} February 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm

We get so much snow that I honestly don’t know what life would be like without a morning routine of shoveling (well, watching Ed shovel). But so funny that you miss the snow! Maybe I would too if I moved away from a snowbelt (what a funny name for it). Anyway, LOVE your mixtapes every single time!

lizzie & isaiah February 4, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I do NOT miss shoveling. I HATE shoveling. Thanks so much, Jackie! :)

hearttypat February 4, 2011 at 11:39 pm

we were getting so much rain for weeks, it was like heaven pouring huge pails of water on us everyday, temperatures dipped, and Singapore was on the verge of losing its claim on being tropical. then one day, the rain stopped and the sun came back. and it has been warm and cloudless every since. pfff! weather!

lizzie & isaiah February 5, 2011 at 1:23 pm

for real, weather can be crazy! thanks, pat :)

Jo February 5, 2011 at 8:27 am

You can have some of mine! I remember how thrilling Texas snow was. It snowed the day we moved and we counted it a good omen. :)

lizzie & isaiah February 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Send it down! We’ll definitely take it!

Jesselyn February 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm

And just think, last weekend it was a beautiful 70 degrees. Come back sunshine!

Only in Texas. ;)

Lisa February 9, 2011 at 9:09 pm

great mix even though I totally hate this snow :)