bangin’ recipes for those with no cooking skills

by lizzie & isaiah on December 1, 2011 · 7 comments

I am a notoriously bad cook.  I have served my family under-cooked chicken, with love and salmonella.  I recently made a fool-proof banana bread recipe.  And it was awful.

This year, I decided I was going to help with Thanksgiving and try cooking again.  I made the Gulliver’s corn (my great-grandma’s recipe), cheddar chive mashed potatoes, a crockpot apple crumble and a low-fat pumpkin roll.

Everything turned out pretty amazing, actually.  My mom – who’s a fantastic, gourmet-style cook (and a career woman, mom, girlfriend and, basically, Wonderwoman) – supervised the whole show.

I was inspired enough to make sea-salt caramels with Isaiah the next day.  Those turned out pretty awesome as well.  I suppose I can’t say I don’t cook anymore.  I can’t decide if I’m happy or annoyed by that.

Anyway – here’s the recipes and I’ll share some photos from our Thanksgiving really soon:

Get to cookin’! And share some recipes with us, damnit.

Today is the last day to enter the handmade holiday card giveaway! Don’t forget!

Gloria December 1, 2011 at 10:06 am

I always thought caramels were really hard to make, but these look REALLY good. I think I’m gonna have to try this recipe!

lizzie & isaiah December 2, 2011 at 11:20 pm

They were actually INSANELY easy. I didn’t have a damned candy thermometer and they worked out just fine. I’m going to try to thicken them up – they were a little too soft for my taste. Also, I might add pecans next time. :] Let me know how they work!

Maggie December 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I looooove pumpkin rolls (and chocolate yule logs). Would it be wrong to make that for breakfast this weekend? ;)

lizzie & isaiah December 2, 2011 at 11:20 pm

WOOHOO! WHAT IS THIS CHOCOLATE YULE LOG YOU SPEAK OF. DO YOU HAVE A RECIPE. I REQUIRE IT.

No, we had pumpkin roll for breakfast MANY DAYS in the last week.

lizzie & isaiah December 2, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Also – can I just say that it lasted FOREVER. Like 100 slices.

Lena December 1, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Oh sweet, magical caramels-they’re such good gifts this time of year, too! Try subbing light agave for corn syrup-truly divine.

And get on my tush about recipes-I have a lot of fairly easy things floating around that you would obviously cook beautifully now.

lizzie & isaiah December 2, 2011 at 11:22 pm

They were amazing. I should definitely try that and HELL YES SEND THOSE MY WAY. I WILL BE SENDING YOU AN EMAIL REMINDER.