Instagramination: Our First Vacation

by lizzie & isaiah on February 7, 2012 · 6 comments

We took our very first vacation recently. We went to New Braunfels, Texas, which is only about four hours away and sits halfway between San Antonio and Austin. New Braunfels was founded by a German prince, Carl of Solms-Braunfels and has retained a bit of its German charm. Although some of it has been commercialized, it was a sweet nostalgic trip to take a beer-cation in a place we could get legit schnitzel and sausage.

We strolled antique shops, ate German stuffs, visited the Sophienburg museum and learned far more than we could retain about New Braunfels, and hit some of the outlet malls nearby. It was relaxing and soothing and OMG we need to take a vacation together, like, every month.

On our last night we went to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy near San Antonio and got drunk off an Applebee’s gift card we got for Christmas, because after working there, I’m actually almost physically unable to eat there.

We spent our last afternoon in Gruene, Texas (pronounced Green, not groin, like I assumed) at the most damned delightful restaurant I’ve ever been to. The view from our table overlooked the river and about three stories of trees and the quality of the food was the topic of conversation for about a quarter of our four hour drive home.

We did the whole weekend on the cheap and had a blast. I wouldn’t rewrite our first vacation together with any exotic location or cross-country trek. It was perfect just to get away together.

If we can keep ourselves in New Braunfels, Texas, I’m pretty sure we can go anywhere together.

I am going to share some photos from Instagram over the next week while I’m cheeks-deep in wedding details, writing projects and cleaning my apartment. Cool? Cool.

Heather February 7, 2012 at 9:20 am

Looks fun! I love away trips together, although it happens far too infrequently.

The Demoiselle February 7, 2012 at 11:33 am

Sweet. Looks like it was a tasty time too. Traveling can be a trial even for the best of relationships – glad you’ve discovered something else you do great together.

Another Emma February 7, 2012 at 5:41 pm

New Braunfels! I love that place. My friend and I stayed there in 2005. When you go back in the summer (cos it seems a place you like enough to go back to!), if you like waterslides, there is an AWESOME water theme park. We spent the whole day being told off for running cos it was so fun you just had to run between the rides.

Nikki February 7, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I love NB! Next time Brian and I are tagging along. Oddly enough, there is a good Mexican food place in Gruene as well, called Adobe Verde (of course). Another excellent patio to enjoy beer and queso.

lyn February 9, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I woulda thought it was pronounced “Groon.” Cray!

DUDE, we have a town like this near where we live, except instead of German it has Scandinavian roots. Picture windmills, Danish-style buildings. Super touristy small town, but it can be fun. Because it’s situated at the north end of a wine-growing valley it also has a metric shit ton of tasting rooms. So, you know. Just in case you ever have a killer craving for both aebleskiver and Pinot Noir, YOU KNOW WHERE TO GO.

So happy you had a vacay!

kathleen February 16, 2012 at 12:04 am

Ahh this is too awesome! I have basically seen New Braunfels through car windows — I was visiting friends in San Antonio while I was there for a work trip and my buddy who studied abroad with me in Germany took me to see it. Unfortunately I don’t think we ate or anything, which is a damn shame. I totally want to go back! Anything involving German food/beer/culture is pretty much always going to be at the top of my list. And a German-themed water park? Too much!